If you are counting by weeks, this marks the beginning of the sixth month of my pregnancy. Over the past couple days I have been thinking about how quickly the time has passed, but at the same time some parts of it have passed slowly (like the treacherous first trimester. Ha!). I had my 24 week appointment this past Friday and met with one of the other Obstetrician's at my doctors office. Since there are four doctors in the practice I will meet with all of them, over the course of the next few visits, in case I deliver after hours and my doctor isn't all call that day. Other than meeting with one of the other doctors it was a rather routine appointment. My blood pressure was good, she checked the baby's heart beat (which was good), we discussed the pediatrician I have been thinking about picking, and I got a flu shot. Generally, I go without getting a Flu shot ever year, but since I'm pregnant my doctor made a few valid points as to why I should get one. If I weren't pregnant I would've passed on getting one like every year, but since I'm set to deliver in February (still in Flu season) I went ahead with it.
I've been noticing that bending over isn't as comfortable as it used to be and it's more comfortable for me to sit up straight to "open up" my abdomen. Also, I'm more out of breath than usually during my runs and slower than I used to be. This week the baby weighs between 1 1/2 to 2 pounds and is about 12 inches long. The baby will start putting weight on quicker now that it's body and organs are developed. I think I'm going to carry pretty low from now on...maybe with a little luck I'll be low enough that the baby will just have to walk out when I deliver. Ha!
This week we have an ear of corn!!!! Seems fitting for Fall.
Lately, I've been having lots of feelings about motherhood. For some reason the enormity of being a parent hit me this week. While I know it will be wonderful I've been feeling/wondering whether I will be a good parent and how I will figure out what/when to do it. I know motherhood is a natural part of life, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared and feeling a little overwhelmed. The bright spot is that the more I read about pregnancy, breast feeding, ways to comfort your child, fetal and baby development/needs...the better I feel. It has made me feel more prepared. I started a book called, "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" by La Leche League International. While the need and desire to breast feed is natural it can feel kind of intimidating...probably due to it's importance and wanting to get it right. This book has been an awesome source of information about breast feeding and connecting with your baby. I would definitely recommend it!
On a lighter note, I made a wonderful discovery this week! Maternity leggings from Old Navy are AWESOME!!! The designers at Old Navy must have had me in mind when they made them...they are incredibly comfortable and only $10 a pair. I'm already so attached that I will be pretty sad when I won't have an excuse to wear them anymore. Until then, they are amazing and I can't believe I didn't find them earlier. I will probably order another pair just to have a spare. If you are pregnant you definitely need a pair. KUDOS maternity leggings!
Our dogs seemed especially interested in the belly picture this week. They might be feeling a little neglected, so here are a couple pictures of their attempt to participate. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment